Supporting vulnerable residents during the COVID-19 outbreak
What is Wick Award doing during COVID-19?
We are working in close partnership with key stakeholders including:
- Tenants and Residents Groups on estates across the ward;
- Groups providing services to older people in the borough;
- Hackney Council;
- Local community groups.
Who are we aiming to support?
We are supporting all residents in Hackney Wick, but particularly the vulnerable. These include people who are at risk and need to self-isolate and practice ‘social distancing’ because of Coronavirus, such as:
- Older people living alone or with a partner
- People with underlying health conditions
- Pregnant women
- Older people in sheltered accommodation
- Vulnerable adults, including adults with learning needs who live independently.
What support are we aiming to provide?
We’re aiming to provide support to enable the activities of daily life to continue as well as possible for those who are self-isolating during the coronavirus outbreak. This support includes:
- Electric key recharging
- Mobile phone top-ups
- Food shopping delivery
- Food parcels for those in need of financial assistance
- Medication delivery
- Specialist supplies including batteries for hearing aids
- Recycling bags
What we’ve done so far
So far we have:
- Worked with trusted local partners including youth and community organisations , church groups and older people’s clubs in order to identify people at risk.
- Brought in food supplies to support residents’ groups to distribute to vulnerable people where needed
- Engaged with managers of sheltered housing schemes in Hackney Wick
- Requested Well Street Tesco to offer elderly shoppers opportunity to shop during a designated quiet period when other shoppers are restricted.
Latest coronavirus news and updates
The links below will take you to the latest information on COVID-19.
- Hackney VCSE news, information and guidance
- National VCSE news, information and guidance
- Coranavirus – symptoms & medical support
If you have an idea for a safe initiative to support vulnerable people, or are concerned for a neighbour, please contact us. You can message us on social media, call us on 07482 320 991, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.